Joel D. Stewart, MD
Joel D. Stewart, MD
Foot & Ankle Surgeon in Newport News
Dr. Stewart is a board-certified orthopaedic surgeon who holds a Fellowship in Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgery. He is a reputable surgeon whose practice focuses on reconstruction of the foot and ankle.
With an emphasis on Sports Medicine, Dr. Stewart treats trauma, including fractures, tendon injuries and delayed limb salvage. Additionally, he treats arthritic conditions, foot deformities, diabetic foot and neuropathic conditions. He is skilled at total ankle replacement, minimally invasive achilles tendon repairs, arthroscopic ankle fusions, and many other complex procedures.
Education and Training
- BS Chemistry, United States Naval Academy, Annapolis, MD
- MD, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- lnternship, General Surgery, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Portsmouth, VA
- Residency, Orthopaedics, Naval Medical Center Portsmouth, Portsmouth, VA
- Fellowship, Foot and Ankle, Florida Orthopaedic Institute, Tampa, FL
- Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgery Member, American Orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Society
- Member, Virginia Orthopaedic Society
- Fellow, American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Charles R. Reinen Teacher of the Year
- Meritorious Service Medal
- Joint Service Commendation Medal
- Navy Commendation Medal
- President – Virginia Orthopaedic Society (2008-2009)
Awards and Recognitions:
- 2020 Virginia Living Magazine “Virginia Top Doctor 2020”
Dr. Stewart served the Navy as the Senior Medical Officer on board the USS Wasp for operations in Haiti, the North Atlantic, and the in Mediterranean off Yugoslavia. After completing his orthopaedic residency and Foot and Ankle Fellowship, he returned to Naval Medical Center Portsmouth on the Foot and Ankle Reconstructive Trauma Team and was Assistant Professor for the Uniformed Services University of Health Sciences. While stationed there, he also served in Okinawa, Bahrain, and Iraq. In 2008, Dr. Stewart began civilian private practice as a Foot and Ankle surgeon prior to joining OSC in 2020.
Along with his dedication to his patients in clinical and surgical practice, he enjoys endurance races, Grand Fondo cycling rides, and coaching youth wrestling. He also enjoys spending free time with his wife and son on their horse farm.